January 19, 2001

This is my advice to you, Mikko, is that if yo' hat starts to stink you should wash it with fabric softener. So it then smells like flowers.

First thing that happened when I met up with other people in my faculty enrolment today - two guys from the student union came in and talked and TALKED about how the school will try to shove glossy propaganda in your face and you should PROTEST and incite revolution or whatever. They went on and on, and the dean didn't care. If I didn't know any better I would think that these clowns had the support of the administration.

I was kind of chuckling to myself because as much as I admire the war like spirit of youth, and the testosterone fueled oratory, I think trying to spark major revolution in a school like mine is a bit gay. These are the reasons.

1. This is a good school with an intelligent student body, excellent faculty, rigorous academics and a good reputation. The first protest is going to take place on the 7th of March, and classes begin on the 5th. Some kids have worked really hard to get into this school. Why would they fucking test the waters like that on the third day of school? How fucking stupid do they think we are?

2. Something like 80% of the student body come from private schools in the Melbourne area. If you are unfamiliar with the private school system of Melbourne, think this: rich kids, snots who have never seen a poor person, and assume that they have really good breeding because Melbourne is technically the poshest city in Australia. Rich kids, 9 times out of 10, don't give a fuck if teachers aren't being paid enough. They've got heaps of money.

3. *deleted because it didn't make sense*

4. Australian kids are lazy. Riot, schmiot. What's on TV?

5. The 'get in, get out' mentality. This is, more specifically, why I wouldn't go protest. I'm there to get a degree, and hopefully get a few good grades (yeah, I is reachin' for the stars, folks!). I'm not there to fuck around and try to get myself kicked out in the hopes that maybe the professors get a few more dollars thrown at them. I'm there to get educated and then to get the hell out. I have no time for revolution.

6. You've missed the 70's by about 30 years, fags. The age of protests in universities in the western world seems to be pretty much over. Be glad that you have it good, and shut the fuck up.

Okay, so I didn't declare a major today. I went to my enrollment and listened to the dean of arts talk about the programme, how you should pick your subjects. He was an old guy who actually looked like Colonel Sanders, but not wearing the Southern attire. He said some cool things:

"Don't worry if things start to go bad for you, we can help you fix them up. Look at me, I got kicked out of this school and faculty when I was seventeen, and now I run it."

(I would have said it like this: "Don't worry if you fuck up. We'll pull you out of whatever horse shit you land in. For example - I got kicked out of this place when I was seventeen. And look at me now! I oooown this bitch.")

"Find something you're intellectually passionate about and then stick with it. The nutty professor syndrome is fine with us."

"All Introductory classes pretty much suck."

I'm liking it already.

I have to pick four areas of study for the year, and I don't quite not what they will be. I'm going to try to be broadbased so that later on I know that what I am studying is something I have narrowed down to.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home