June 13, 2001

Vin - I also found McVeigh's choice of final statement intriguing. I think it has something to do with the fact that he knew, when he blew up that building in Oklahoma City, he was going to die for it. In that respect, he has been the master of his fate, and the captain of his soul - he brought his own death upon himself, his actions were deliberate and thoroughly premeditated (and thus, so was his death). He never even tried to get away. He wanted to be caught.

Also interesting to note that despite the fact he never apologised (explicitly) for the murders of those people and never expressed regret over his reactions, he observed final rites and confessed before he died (basically asked for a pardon from the Roman Catholic god). Hmmm.

On the death penalty: I don't quite know. I used to think I was for it, in my little biblical 'eye for an eye' ideology. I tend to think differently now, but I can't pinpoint the moment or the idea that influenced me to change my mind. Putting a man to death is easy, and doesn't bring back the lives he has taken or clear him of any other crime he had committed. You're right, it does cost a lot. And taking a life, for whatever reason, is not right. I seriously doubt, in the long term, whether the families of the victims feel any better about having lost their loved ones.

Oh, and I want to punch Britney Spears.

That is all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home