January 20, 2002

Has anyone read the poem by Robert Browning, "Porphyria's Lover". Sick poem, it is, guy strangles his lover with her own hair. However, it's a metaphor for devotion in my opinion. You can find an illustrated version of the poem on Scott Mcloud's website. I've been examining the poem the past couple of days, the first poem I've really REALLY looked at, and it's quite a disgustingly simple poem. The rhythm actually stays constant for most of the poem, I mean from line to line there is a sense that the poem goes, "da dum da dum da dum da dum" and so on. It's a very controlled example of poetry. Maybe it's set up to a hypnotic effect, but it's just done in such an aesthetically pleasing way, all the words of the poem are key to it's overall appearance.
I can't find the Scott Mcloud's website address, peace out, eat some ninja food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home