January 06, 2002

Meeko, you soo crrrazy

but if you want the answers, you better give a piece of ass
- system of a down

I'm thinking of doing a piece on rap music, I've been quite adamant on how there are different kinds of rap music, there is firstly lifestyle rap music. It's overtly stating the way they think, Eminem-style rap, "I don't care, I don't care, I don't care that you criticise the fact that I don't care". Kinda like alot of the American rap I see on MTV or Channel V. I think this rap sucks, I hate being told how people live with their extended freedoms of being a rock star. It's idolatrous, it's like looking up to these people and saying that I want to be like them, and that is the attitude that spawns reality competition shows like "Pop Stars" where people with iota of talent are given the chance make it big without knowing anything about the industry, and signing everything that comes their way; money off their image. Pop fame, I suppose, the most short-lived kind of attention society can spend on a person. Jason Donovan had sung a duet with Kylie in the 80s (was it?), now he just appears on TV coked to his eyeballs. People who get taste that fraction of the absolute attention of the world will forever base their lives upon it, after that delicious taste. That's my condensed take on the extremely complex range of emotion. So slap me.

Then there's the substance rap, I have a bias (ha) when it comes to this. White people cannot rap. I can't rap, B-real can rap. For split seconds I take a second out of listening to a song and listen to the words. I guess I look at the lyrics less in a substance rap. I don't see the jiggy chicks on the screen or the cars bouncing, fuck that. I don't see anything I just hear quality music.

Anyways, I know this is far from exact science, in fact if I were to set this up as "The cult of rap" I would probably indoctrinate dead people to get enough people for a congregational register. So I'm thinking of writing something like this, examining certain styles of rap, and writing down my findings, like Dr. Agassiz and the fish, like an ethnographer and the Yanomamos. Like a bad joke and yo mamma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home