January 28, 2002

What I understand to be great literature is what people _say_ is great literature, the point is if I read a book and enjoy it, then that's the bottom line. There's no cut-off point. No sense winding people up with requisites. On another note, the point of literature is wide: I learn stuff from literature. I have a soft spot for the writing and the events that authors set up in narration. I dream of doing the exact same thing.

French analysis is interesting, it's alot more colorful than English analysis. They use imagery and associative language, always drawing parallels, seeking comparisons. It's refreshing from English analysis where jargon, affectionately known to me as "fuck you" jargon, restricts the readership to a select number of people. No mistaking though, Edward Said adeptly talks about issues beyond my grasp with a mincing flow that is quite attractive, once I've gotten a better reading of the background information surrounding colonial rule, I'll go back and re-read his books. Sartre makes his allusions quite clear and despite also speaking above my realm of knowledge he doesn't penalise me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home