March 21, 2002

Did any of you guys get my invitation for the new odd word?

This is interesting: 100 Best Characters in Fiction Since 1900
From Book magazine, March/April 2002.

Jay Gatsby is number 1, which I find interesting (I feel strongly about the character of Jay Gatsby for some reason, so don't mind me, but I don't know if he's worthy of first place). A lot of characters from To Kill a Mockingbird have been included, even Toad from Wind in the Willows and Winnie the Pooh got places!!

Holden Caulfield seems a little weird to me. I liked Catcher in the Rye, but I found him to be a little annoying.

Any comments? Glaring omissions? I stole this link from metafilter, and I saw that people had commented on the absence of Gandalf from Lord of the Rings, any characters from Lord of the Flies, any Vonnegut or Allende characters.

This list has also made me terribly aware on how behind I am on my reading. Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home